Log in

No account? Create an account
30 January 2012 @ 10:24 pm
Lizborg: the Raw Materials  
Four thrift stores later, plus dollar, craft, and fabric store runs, and a trawl through my craft room, I have at my disposal:
  • a leather jacket to modify into a doublet
  • 8 yards of black/silver metallic fabric for the overskirt
  • knee and elbow pads for armor
  • a plastic "robot armor" breastplate
  • a veterinary collar (the cone of shame!) to prop up the ruff
  • a heap of industrial/mechanical bits and pieces
  • a similar heap of electronic and light-up bits and pieces
  • a smaller heap of shiny metallic/holographic ribbons, foils, etc.
  • a sheer organza curtain for veils
Start here for pictures of my various heaps. I may not actually *use* all this stuff, but it's helpful to have an inventory.

Add to this the stuff I plan to order online:
  • circuit board print fabric for the forepart of the skirt
  • fiber optics for the ruff
  • LED strips for the skirt trim
  • LEDs and clear tubing for the glow claw
  • 4 bazillon batteries
And, well...whatever else catches my eye and seems like it might work. This is fun. :)

Dans la bibliothèque: How to Get Suspended and Influence People
wabbit (the jack is silent): Carson-Doctor Beckett To Youjackwabbit on January 31st, 2012 11:51 am (UTC)
You know that "the veterinary collar" is called an "e-collar," right?

As in, you guessed it, "Elizabethan." ;)
joyeuse13joyeuse13 on January 31st, 2012 01:15 pm (UTC)
Wait seriously? Like, it was named with that in mind? Wow.

It was funny, I had that idea about the collar at one point, but figured I didn't want to actually buy one--and then one turned up at the thrift store. Go figure.
wabbit (the jack is silent): Carson-Calljackwabbit on January 31st, 2012 04:12 pm (UTC)

I've worked in vet med since 1993, and I've never heard it called anything else. It's an e-collar.

But when you order them from the companies or look them up in the computer, they're usually under "Elizabethan Collar."

True fact.

Now, hunters and other field trainers will use the term "e-collar" to refer to electronic training collars, but they also use it for the cones of shame, because they've usually been around long enough that they call 'em what we call 'em. Most owners do too, it seems. But lately I call them "cone collars" when I talk to owners just in case they don't know the term. Hm. Perhaps I was in hast to start doing that. ; ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabethan_collar
Brigidshadefell on February 1st, 2012 04:26 am (UTC)
I am so, so excited to see your progress on this!